Two houses at Upper Walmer played an important role in caring
for injured servicemen during the First World War. Generals
Meadow and St Anselms both belonged to Sir Charles
Sargant, a former justice of the High Court, who agreed to
the buildings being used as part of a welfare and nursing
programme known as the Voluntary Aid Detachments scheme.
The Voluntary Aid Detachments (VAD) were originally formed
in 1909 after the publication of a report by the War Office
suggesting how volunteers could support the armed services
medical staff. Kent VAD was set up in 1910 by the Red Cross
and St Johns Ambulance Brigade together with the Kent
Territorial Force, anticipating the need to organise medical
assistance in time of war.
Walmer VAD's two houses provided 100 beds with Sir Charles
wife Lady Millie Sargant taking on the role of hospital commandant.
Walmer VAD Hospital operated from October 1914 to the end
of March 1919.
You can read more on Hazel Basford's Kent VAD website at