St Mary's Church,
St Mary's or The Church of St Mary the Virgin in St Clare
Road, Walmer was designed by Arthur Blomfield in 1887 to take
the pressure off the parish's two other churches, the small
medieval Old St Mary's and St Saviour's, a Victorian chapel
for fishermen on Walmer seafront. Although a spire was designed,
it was never added.
In the spacious interior, the main west
window portrays nautical episodes of Christ's life, the instruments
of the passion, and Saints Peter and Paul. Both aisles have
five sets of three lancets each; those on the north show saints
and apostles and those on the south show Old Testament figures.
Above the the high altar at the east end are tall lancet windows
depicting the Ascension, framed by mosaic images of an angel
on the left captioned Sperate (hope for) and another
on the right captioned Surgite (arise).